Thursday, October 27, 2011

Anger, fear, and wanting to know more

Back when I was in eighth grade, I got to attend a series of plays which included works of poets and authors. To be completely honest, I was not interested in watching these plays. As each play went on one after another, they just looked and sounded so similar. Finally the last play started and I was excited; my boredom would soon be over but I was wrong the excitement soon turned into anger, fear, and wanting to know more. The play was about a short story, “The Tell – Tale Heart, by Edgar Allan Poe. This play was a complete contrast with the plays before it. It wasn’t fun and cheery; it was dark, twisted, and intriguing. Watching the play I looked around to see the audience faces, some were interested and some feared on what would happen next, I was in that category. In the play, the speaker feels paranoid he goes through these psychological problems; telling us that he was nervous but not crazy, fearing things, and also hearing things. For one to write a story about murder, insanity, and guilt all in one story in my opinion is a lunatic. The play was over and I wanted to know more about Poe’s reason why he wrote with such insanity and ill plots. Was it because the causes of his past affected his life so much that he had to write a horrific story dealing with death, guilt, and paranoia? In this blog I will plan to write about Poe’s life and his writing involving paranoia, guilt, and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment